Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Fish and Chip babies

I know this may be old news to some of you but for those that don't know about the Fish and Chip babies a quick search online will tell you about their plight. Poor wee babies born and having to go home wrapped in newspaper, like a fish & chip supper from the chip shop :(

People have been busy worldwide knitting simple vest tops for these babies but the problem I, personally, have come across is the actual getting them to Africa. It's not so much the cost of posting a few vests, it's the worry about whether they get to their destination or not. Here's where one of my friends comes in handy :) She works at a hospital & one of the nurses has been over to Malawi. She's taken hand knits over before and is willing to take more next time she goes.

The pattern can be found online but I'll post the one I'm using. Please feel free to drop of any you knit at The Wool Shop and I'll pass them on. I'm not sure of the dates we need them by but I'll let you know as soon as I do.

PATTERN-

Double knitting yarn in bright colours & 4.5mm needles
Cast on 44 stitches
Work 18 Rows in K2, P2 rib
Work 30 Rows stocking stitch
Cast on 12 stitches at beginning of next 2 rows and at the same time change to K2, P2 for the sleeves
Rib 22 more rows.
Next row: Rib 21, cast off 26 stitches, rib 21
Next row: Rib 21, cast on 26 stitches, rib 21
Work 22 rows in K2, P2 rib
Cast off 12 stitches at beginning of next 2 rows
Work 30 rows stocking stitch
Work 18 rows, K2, P2 rib
Cast off and sew seams.

No comments:

Post a Comment